I am a quantitative geomorphologist who uses a combination of numerical modeling, physical experiments and field work to understand the processes governing the evolution of landscapes. The basic questions I strive to answer are: Why does a certain landscape look the way it does? What small-scale processes explain the large-scale patterns we can observe on Earth’s surface? How do landscapes change over small and large timescales? My current research focuses on the evolution of hillslopes developed in layered rock, primarily using numerical modeling and analytical approaches. I also have experience in remote sensing (drone photogrammetry & LiDAR) and aeolian, fluvial, and ecologic fieldwork.
- Glade, R.C., and Anderson, R.S. Quasi-steady evolution of hillslopes in layered landscapes: An analytic approach: JGR Earth Surface, In revision.
- Glade, R.C., Anderson, R.S., and Tucker, G.E. (2017) Block-controlled hillslope form and persistence of topography in rocky landscapes: Geology, v. 45, p. 311-314, doi:10.1130/G38665.1.
- Foster, M.A., Anderson, R.S., Rindﬂeisch, P.R., Birkeland, P.W., Redwine, J.R., Pitlick, J., and Glade, R.C., (2016) The 2016 Kirk Bryan ﬁeld trip: Quaternary landslides, ﬂuvial terraces, and recent geomorphic events along the Colorado Front Range, in Keller, S.M., and Morgan, M.L., eds., Unfolding the Geology of the West: Geological Society of America Field Guide 44, p. 267–289, doi:10.1130/2016.0044(12).
- Glade, R.C., Jerolmack, D.J. (2014) Formation and morphology of aeolian coarse-grained ripples at White Sands, New Mexico. University of Pennsylvania Undergraduate Thesis.
- Co-convener (2016), Session- Heterogeneity in Geomorphic Systems: Driving Forces and Landscape Response: Geological Society of America Meeting (GSA).
- Tucker, G.E., Barnhart, K.R., Glade, R.C., Shobe, C.M., Doty, S.G., Hill, M.C. (2017) Using a natural experiment in post-glacial landscape evolution as a testbed for comparing alternative geomorphic model formulations: Consortium of Universities for the Advancement of Hydrologic Science, Inc. (CUAHSI). Oral Presentation.
- Glade, R.C., Anderson, R.S. (2016) Hillslope evolution in landscapes dominated by layered rocks: American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting (AGU). Oral Presentation.
- Glade, R.C., Anderson, R.S. and Tucker, G.E. (2016) Blocks control hillslope evolution in landscapes developed in layered rock: GSA. Oral Presentation.
- Glade, R.C., Anderson, R.S. and Tucker, G.E. (2016) Blocks control hillslope evolution in layered landscapes: Community Surface Dynamics Modeling System- Sediment Experimentalists Network Meeting (CSDMS-SEN). Poster Presentation.
- Glade, R.C. and Anderson, R.S. (2015) Honoring the reality of blocky hillslopes: Case study of a vertical dike at Shiprock, New Mexico: AGU. Poster Presentation.
- Glade, R.C., Jerolmack, D.J., and Pelletier, J.D. (2014) Formational mechanisms and morphology of windblown coarse-grained sand ripples at White Sands, New Mexico: AGU. Poster Presentation.
- Glade, R.C., Grigsby, S. and Ustin, S.L. (2013) Relationships between topography and leaf area index in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, California: AGU. Poster Presentation.